This week is all about the zany zucchini. One of the more versatile vegetables, the zucchini can stand alone or be added to a variety of dishes such as casseroles, breakfast foods, sweet breads and desserts. It adds a pleasing taste and texture with the added bonus of increasing the nutrient value of the dish. Here are a few ideas for baking up the long-standing staple with a new mouth-watering twist.
Glazed lemon zucchini bread
• 2 cups cake flour • ½ tsp. salt • 2 tsp. baking powder • 2 eggs
• ½ cup canola oil • 1 1/3 cups sugar • 2 Tbsp. lemon juice • ½ cup buttermilk • Zest of 1 lemon •
1 cup grated zucchini
• 1 cup powdered sugar • 2 Tbsp. lemon juice • 1 Tbs. milk
Mix flour, salt and baking powder in medium bowl. Set aside. In large bowl, beat eggs. Then add oil and sugar until well blended. Add lemon juice, buttermilk, and lemon zest and blend together. Fold in zucchini until well mixed. Add dry mixture to the wet mixture and blend until well combined. Pour batter into greased 9 X 5” loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 40 – 45 minutes. While still warm, mix glaze ingredients together and spoon over bread. Let glaze set up before cutting.
Zucchini onion pie
• 3 eggs • 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese • ½ cup canola oil • 1 Tbs. minced fresh parsley • 1 garlic clove, minced • ¼ tsp. salt • 1/8 tsp. pepper • 3 cups sliced zucchini • 1 cup biscuit/baking mix • 1 small onion, chopped
Whisk together the first seven ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in the zucchini, baking mix and onion. Pour into a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Bake at 350° for 25 – 35 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield 6 servings.
BAKED PARMESAN ZUCCHINI
• 4 zucchini, quartered lengthwise • ½ cup grated Parmesan • ½ tsp. dried thyme • ½ tsp. dried oregano • ½ tsp. dried basil • ¼ tsp. garlic powder
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste • 2 Tbs. olive oil
• 2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley leaves
Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a cooling rack with nonstick spray and place on baking sheet. Set aside. In small bowl, combine Parmesan and all spices except parsley. Place zucchini onto prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with Parmesan mixture. Bake until tender, about 15 minutes. Then broil for 2-3 minutes or until the topping is a crisp golden brown. Serve immediately, garnish with parsley if desired.
If you have a favorite recipe you would like to share, please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.