Home Page

Business Journal










Important #s

Other News

Add an event


Fort Bend County, At Large
By Cheryl Skinner

This column expresses the personal opinions/views of the writer. If you would like to express your opinions/views regarding the column, write a SIGNED letter to the editor. Name can be withheld by request with a valid day time phone number.


I find Precinct 1 Commissioner Richard Morrison a delight to interview. For one, he is an attorney and knows what public information is and what it isn’t.

Because of this knowledge he doesn’t play pussy-foot when I ask him for facts and figures like many of the public officials do.

How refreshing!

The thing I enjoy most about discussing issues with him is his candid treatment of all topics. Like last week when I called about the Royal Lakes subdivision’s problems with the big bad railroad.

Perhaps it was because he was hopping mad and ready to do battle with the big boys that he vowed to bring his own chainsaw to cut down any barricades that foolishly might be installed by the railroad.

I think it is more likely it was because Morrison already had his favorite super-heavy duty, guaranteed for life, Sears brand chainsaw sitting next to him, armed (or oiled) and ready.

Morrison doesn’t think the railroad will live up to their threats (or should I say alleged threats) to stop access to the Royal Lakes subdivision.

After those guys meet the official representative of Precinct 1, they may think twice before telling the good people of Royal Lakes they are about to take action.

I’ve been covering the situation for most of the past 11 years and it is finally really getting interesting.

Almost everyone here at the “Fort Bend Star”, with the exception of yours truly, was impacted when Hurricane Ike breezed through the area.

In fact, one of our reporters finally was able to move back into her home just last month.

I was lucky, well, with the exception that I was the only one functional enough with a roof over my head and internet to put out the newspaper, the day after Ike.

This past weekend as reporters recapped the devastation caused by the hurricane, I again felt fortunate.
For about an hour.

We hadn’t had any rain for six months and the sky opened up on Friday. A reason to rejoice, right? I thought so, until the power went off just before dark Friday evening.

So much for work on my stories and the Astros game my husband had just settled in to watch.

Moments later as we listened to the torrential rain falling, the thunder cracking and observed the lightning create brilliant scenes across the sky, we heard a little crack.

“What was that noise?” my husband asked.

“I don’t know; sounded like a tree falling,” I responded.

Oh boy, was it ever a tree falling. The largest, ancient oak in our front yard had indeed simply fallen over on our motor home.

But that wasn’t all. The impact snapped our main power pole to the house and it crashed onto the other end of the vehicle.

Luckily, the power was off as the wires that fell all over the roof of the motor home were coming directly from the transformer and the vehicle most likely would have been fried if the power had been on at the time.

The funny thing is that we purchased the thing because of Ike and the possibility we might need to run from the next major hurricane.

At least we were uninjured, but our home electrical wiring was uprooted by the falling 800-pound power pole. After repairing that and our escape buggy (only heaven knows!), everything will be as good as new.
Just goes to show you that Mother Nature can be quite unique. After all, who would have thought that a large puddle could do more damage than a hurricane?


Contact skinnerc1@tconline.net, if you would like to express your opinions/views regarding the column. Write a SIGNED letter to the editor with valid day time phone number--name can be withheld by request.

Ad Rates



User Agreement

Privacy Stmt

About Us

Copyright © 2009 by FortBendstar.com.  All rights reserved. 
   Last Update:
August 05, 2009